Department of Chemistry of Government College Kottayam offers B.Sc. Chemistry (Model-II) with specialization in Industrial Chemistry (under-graduate) and MSc Industrial Chemistry (post-graduate) programmes. These programmes provide a healthy interface between Industry and Academics and furnish extensive career and employment opportunities to students. Month long industrial in-plant training, industry visits and industry-based projects and practicals make these programmes more attractive than respective conventional UG and PG programmes in Chemistry. The department has one of the best infrastructures for chemistry students among colleges in the State in terms of classroom, laboratory and research facilities.
Department of Chemistry is an Interdisciplinary Research Centre, and hence students of the department have the window of opportunity to acquire greater exposure in solving research problems and skills in managing advanced instruments. Faculty members of the department publish research articles and academic reference books. The department published more than 20 research articles in peer-reviewed high-impact international journals in the last five-year period.
The department of Chemistry provides the students an ideal platform to engage in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The department conducts seminars, lecture series, invited talks, quiz programmes, extensional activities, and out-reach programmes, where the students obtain greater opportunities to interact with experts, peers and the public. In its development plan, the department envisages to design more innovative programmes to strengthen industry-institute interface to manage industrial problems and projects, and to improve the research facilities and promote research collaborations leading to sign MoU’s with reputed institutions inside and outside the country that encompass student and faculty exchange programmes.
Excellent Infrastructure facilities
Employment/Career Opportunities for candidates with BSc Industrial Chemistry Degree
1. Chemist (in various government and private sectors, including polymer, petrochemicals,
pharmaceuticals and drug industries, chemical and fertilizers companies, cement industries, etc).
2. Analyst (in Chemical and Testing Laboratories and Industries).
3. Junior Scientific Officer (in public sectors: polymer/petrochemicals/drug/cement/pharmaceuticals)
4. MSc Chemistry/Industrial Chemistry programmes in various Universities
5. PSC/UPSC examinations for the appointment of the services in the state/country
Employment/Career Opportunities for candidates with MSc Industrial Chemistry Degree
1. Assistant professor in Colleges/Universities (with additional qualification-NET/PhD)
2. Higher secondary school teacher (with additional qualifications-B. Ed & SET)
3. PhD programme in Chemical Sciences/Nanoscience
4. Research Scientist (in government sectors including DRDO, CSIR labs, R&D in industries).
5. Chemist (in various government and private sectors including polymer, petrochemicals,
pharmaceuticals and drug industries, chemical and fertilizers companies, cement industries, public
sectors like ONGC, GAIL, SAIR, BHEL, HLL, etc).
6. Analyst (in Chemical and Testing Laboratories and Industries).
7. Scientific Officer (in public sectors: polymer/petrochemicals/drug/cement/pharmaceuticals
industries, chemical/fertilizers companies, public sectors like ONGC, GAIL, SAIR, BHEL, HLL, etc)
8. CGPDTM controller (Patent examiner)/ Chemical Examiner, etc.
9. PSC/UPSC examinations for the appointment of the services in the state/country.